Is it Time for an Engine Rebuild?
One of the biggest repairs that you may ever need to do for a vehicle is conduct an engine rebuild. This is often an extreme service, but it can be much cheaper than the alternative, which is often to simply by a new car. During a rebuild an engine is completely disassembled and rebuilt, returning it to a like new condition. So when should a rebuilt be completed, and how do you know if it is time for an engine rebuild? Read on.
Reasons for an engine rebuild
There are a couple main reasons why an engine rebuild may need to be completed.
- Worn engine bearings - The engine bearings support the motion of the moving engine parts, such as the crankshaft, rods and pistons. They do wearout after many, many thousands of miles of use, but their wear is acceled if the engine is ran with low oil.
- Poorly seating piston rings - The piston rings seal in the expanding gases created by the burning of gas in the engine. If they don't seat properly oil can get into the combustion chamber.
Signs it is time for an engine rebuild
If you encounter any of the following issues you will want to talk to a mechanic about the repair options for your car or truck.
- Knocking noise - A knocking or chatting noise that comes from under the hood that rises and falls in sync with engine RPMs is the number one sign of failing engine bearings.
- White/blue exhaust smoke - An increase in exhaust smoke is often an indication of oil consumption, generally due to poorly seated piston rings.
- Metal shavings in oil - If there are metal flakes in the oil that is removed from a vehicle during an oil change it is probable that there is excessive friction occurring under the hood.
It is important that you take care of your car to help prevent the need for major engine repairs or engine rebuilds. If you'd like to discuss the option of an engine rebuild in Denton reach out to Strande's Garage. Our full service auto shop can handle any service required to get you back on the road in a safe and reliable vehicle. To learn more about our shop or to request engine repair in Denton give our team a call at (940) 566-2156 today.
Strande's Garage Blog
Written By Brian Corey
Published By MORBiZ
Expert Foreign Auto Repair in Denton
Does My Car Need Transmission Service?
How to Find a Great Auto Repair Shop
3 Reasons Oil Changes are 100% Necessary
How to Tell if it is Time for Suspension Repair
Minor Auto Maintenance to Improve Performance
Automotive Safety: Signs of Brake Failure
Bad Driving Habits that can Wreak Havoc on Your Transmission
DIY Auto Maintenance: Fluid Checks
If this happens your car may need exhaust repair
Common Signs of Car Trouble
What is Leaking from My Car?
Auto Maintenance You Should Never Skip
4 Symptoms of Poor Wheel Alignment
Is it Time for an Engine Rebuild?
Does My Car Need Radiator Repair?
3 Diesel Engine Problems to be Weary Of
What is Scheduled Auto Maintenance and Why does my Car Need it?
Easy Ways to Improve Fuel Efficiency this Summer
What is a Tune Up?
If this Happens it is Time for Clutch Repair
What is a Fluid Flush?
6 signs your car will give you if it is time for brake repair
Top Reasons Your Car Won't Start
Common Dashboard Warning Lights
Do I Need Alternator Replacement?
How do I know if it is time for transmission service or repair?
Does My Car Need Engine Repair?
Common Signs of Engine Failure
How to Detect a Coolant Leak
Strange Noises that Indicate Car Trouble
5 Signs Your Car Requires Brake Repair
Should I Visit the Auto Repair Shop if...?
Top Signs it is Time for Engine Repair
Why Won't My AC Blow Cold Air?
What does it mean to be a NAPA AutoCare Center Auto Repair Shop?
5 Common No Start Problems
Does My Car Need Exhaust Repair?
Understanding commercial fleet vehicle maintenance
Is it time for an Engine Rebuild
Increase your MPGs this Summer with Simple Auto Maintenance
Why are Oil Changes so Important for My Car?
My Car Won't Start... What's Wrong?
3 Signs Your Car Needs Clutch Repair
Top 5 Reasons Your Check Engine Light is On
5 Great Qualities of a Denton Auto Repair Shop
6 Signs it's Time for Engine Repair
Does My Car Need Transmission Repair?
5 Must Know Signs of Failing Brakes
4 Signs Your Car Needs Suspension Repair
Top Signs of Cooling System Trouble